Monday, September 10, 2007

Our trip We Never Got To Make...

OK-- so... we never made it to Ohio after all. :( that was a major bummer!! I really wated to see everybody there. So here is my story and I'm sticking to it! We left early on the 31st. We were doing great time, everything was great. We were 6 hours into our trip. We were right in the middle. 6 hours from home 6 hours from Ohio. We were chatting - going up a hill and all of a sudden John says- Lin I think we're loosing power. I'm like what? Just a little freaked at this point. By then he had pulled over to the side of the road and the truck was pretty much dead. We were like oh no- what now? What do you do? Then you've got trucks going 90 by you. You really dont want to be road kill. He was able to start it up drive very slowly and I mean slow! In the breakdown lane- 2 miles to the exit ramp. It died on the off ramp. So were were not Right on the side of the road. He told me- I think it's the motor. It wrapped like a sun of a gun. He said it was the bearings in the lower end. I'm no car expert but I know that it can't be good. We sat there for an hour. No cop in sight. Nothing. So we decided that we needed to call 911 but tell them it's no emergency but we on the side of the highway broken down. They sent out a State Trooper to assist us. He asked John for his licence. I said to myself as I see this going on- where is the registration? On that Thursday I went to register it. The 31st was the last day. This dingy changed purses and our proof or regestration and insurance was at home in Maine. DUH!!!! He didn't ask. Thank goodness!! He called a tow campany. They came out- but couldn't help us. We were hauling a UHAUL trailer. He got a hold of another company who was also a UHAUL dealer and tow company. Well-- this company was awesome! It was a NAPA store, NAPA garage, tow company, UHAUL dealer all in one. In this small cute little friendly town in PA. They were SO nice to us. They hardly charged us for the tow. We had to find a way to get the truck back home. They did all the leg work and arranged for a UHAUL truck to drive and a tow dolly to tow the truck back home. We had to stay the night in their town. They let us use a car for free. Got us a nice motel room discounted , let us use a pick up the next morning to get the tow dolly and they picked up the UHAUL for us. It was the busiest weekend for UHAUL, they didn't have a truck available at their store. They did everything for us. It cost almost $600.00 to get back home. I gave the man my credit card- walked out and cried. I was very upset. I thought our vacation was pretty much ruined. It wasn't but anyways. One of the men helping us was incredable. I will always remember him and when we drive through we will stop and say hello to them. This man named Phil we met was a Sept 11th surviver and he shared his remarkable brave story with us. It was incredable and really touched me. and made my lousy day seem like nothing and gave me a huge reality check!

0 comments: