Sunday, December 21, 2008

As the snow is falling......

Silent Night

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Saviour is born
Christ, the Saviour is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth "


Memories of Christmas past........

This morning we took our kids from Kids Church and took them to a place where elderly people live in the area. It's a pretty neat place. Anyways the kids brought the ornaments that we had them make last week and we brought over a birthday cake that said "Happy Birthday Jesus." We sand Happy Birthday to Jesus and the kids passed out cake and their little snowman ornaments to the elderly folks who came to see them. Then the kids along with us leaders sand Christmas carols for the people. Then the children read the story of Jesus' birth.

I really thought the whole thing was wonderful. Singing Happy Birthday to Jesus was awesome. I can't say I recall ever doing that as a child. It was neat and I truly felt I was wishing Him a Happy Birthday and remembering His birth.
We when sang about 4 or so Christmas carols. That was really neat and I truly truly enjoyed it. :) It brought back some awesome memories of when I was a child and we used to go to the area nursing homes and sing Christmas carols. I really love the elderly and was right in my element today. We sang Silent Night and I was singing it straight from my heart, and I felt so peaceful inside. As I was singing my heart out I was looking outside and it was snowing..(we're in the middle of a HUGE storm) anyways....it was beautiful and perfect and awesome! Thank you Jesus!! As a child I really enjoyed getting out there and singing carols and spreading the love of Jesus and put my whole heart into it during the Christmas season & I felt that today! :)

8 comments:

Abby said...

What a wonderful and appropriate Christmas activity for the kids! I bet they'll remember it for a long time. Maybe some will grow up and be church leaders and reminisce about it on their blogs!

Most Christmas carols get me teary eyed, especially when performed with true emotion.

Ann Murray said...

In a world where the elderly are so often forgotten and even mocked, it is wonderful to read of things like this, Linda.
I work with young children and each Christmas a group goes from our school and sings carols in an old people's home and in the local hospital.
I love to hear and read about these things - this is outreach, this is true Christianity, bringing the joy and light and peace and beauty of Christ to all - forgetting no-one.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss A said...

Lovely Blog. Merry Christmas!

Miss A said...

P.S. I accidentally commented a minute ago under my mom's sign in name, so I deleted it. Helping others with their blogs gets somewhat complicated when it's time to log in and out.

Anonymous said...

Linda you are a REAL BLESSING !! I am sure the Elderly enjoyed it very much Hope you and John have a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New year Hope things get better in the New Year !!! Love you

God Chaser said...

A wonderful memory- There is something about singing Christmas carols to others that make you feel it deep in your soul. Be blessed and have a wonderful Christmas.

sailorcross said...

Hi Linda!

I'm stopping by for Peggy. She just got in touch with me, and she has no internet service in Mexico.

She's fine--just no service. She asked if I would stop by and visit everyone that visited her on Sunday for her.

I also wanted to tell you that I liked your visit to the nursing home--sometimes the forgotten people.

Beth